If you’ve ever played or watched basketball, you know about the full court press. Your team shoots, I rebound the ball and the moment I turn around, you are in my face creating instant defensive pressure. You’re successful at it because it’s almost impossible to move the ball down the court, but the amount of energy required to execute consistently is unsustainable. It’s why this type of defense is often reserved for when the stakes are high.
Unfortunately, many businesses have been operating at a “full court press” level of defense since March because it’s been a high stakes game since the start of COVID.
But are COVID times really different than normal times? Meaning, if you think back to pre-COVID, would you say that you were playing a full court press then too or did you have free time with a balanced life filled with both rewarding work and play? Did you feel like you were achieving the profit you wanted, you had the control you desired, and you were living the entrepreneurial life you had always envisioned? Did you enjoy running your business?
If so, great job! There’s no need to read on.
If not, I ask you as my newest friend, WHAT’S THE POINT?! What is the point of operating and owning your business, if not to achieve all of those things?
As an EOS Implementer®, my job is to help leaders enjoy the EOS Life®. First, I’ll describe what the EOS Life is, then what EOS® is, and then how you can get to it.
What is the EOS Life?
The EOS Life requires the following five accomplishments. Many people achieve one or two of these goals, but the EOS Life demands all five.
- Doing what you love. Working within your unique ability, doing the things you love and are good or great at.
- Working with people you love. The people around you are the “right people.” In other words, they share a passion for your vision and have the same core values as you.
- Making a significant difference. You are accomplishing something important such as helping people grow, achieving exciting goals or building somethings special. It’s more than a job and a paycheck.
- Being compensated well. Your results are appropriately rewarded. Your business is successful, and the profits allow for reinvestment and financial stability.
- Having time for the things that really matter personally. You have a work/life balance. Everyone is in the right seat and accountable for their roles, allowing you the ability to work a “normal” number of hours and have time for family and to pursue personal passions.
What is EOS?
EOS stands for the Entrepreneurial Operating System®. It is a complete, proven system with real world practical tools and timeless concepts that are implemented in a business over a period of time to help the entrepreneurial leaders achieve three things we call Vision, Traction and Healthy.
While EOS is designed for entrepreneurial companies (or insurance agencies) that have between 10 and 250 employees, it’s also true that Solopreneurs (like independent agents) also need to achieve Vision, Traction and Healthy. EVERYONE can get to the EOS Life with enough focus and discipline.
What I Mean by Vision, Traction and Healthy
- Vision– Many years ago, I learned that the BEST way to achieve clarity on something is to ask really great questions. In EOS, we ask eight questions that when answered, create powerful alignment and clarity for both leadership and the entire organization. The result is that everyone in the organization is 100% on the same page with where you are going and how you are going to get there.
- Traction–There are several tools and disciplines that we teach and roll out during EOS implementation that help you make sure that each and every person knows exactly what their role, responsibility and measurables are to execute on your Vision with consistent discipline and accountability.
- Healthy– Everything about EOS helps makes teams healthier. The clarity, the accountability, the open and honest conversations, the fact that we are able to get the right people in the organization (people who share the same core values) and in the right seats (people who can do the job well).
How to Get to the EOS Life
To illustrate how we help entrepreneurial leaders achieve their very best life, we use something we call The EOS Model®.
This model stems from a discovery that every single business wrestles with the same 136 issues, and to the extent that we can strengthen the Six Key Components™ of the business (shown in the model), those issues tend to just fall into place because we’re finally solving our issues at the root. We’re eliminating complexity and lack of clarity everywhere in the company. We’re all delegating and elevating to our highest and best use and we’re working with people we love, who know how to get the job done at or above our expectations.
Want to Take the Next Step Toward Your EOS Life?
Join me for a free workshop where you’ll gain access to all the tools and learn how we use them, on Wednesday, December 9 at 9:30 AM EST. Register Here.